How to use soil to help your succulents grow better?
【How to Use Soil to Help Your Succulent Cuties Grow Better?】
What soils do succulents like?
1. Needs to be loose and ventilated, the roots of succulents need a lot of oxygen. The hard and hot soil would easily damage the root, and the lack of oxygen will breed a large number of anaerobic bacteria.
2. Easy to drain, also has a certain water-holding ability. The original soil for succulents to grow is sandy, the root system does not adapt to soak in the water, the most suitable environment for growth is to make the plant in a moist and not wet state for a long time, if it is hard to maintain, remember the rule, better dry than wet.
3. Root-affinity, not easy to crush. Root-affinity refers to whether roots are easy to adhere to soil particles, and the size of soil particles is different in different periods. At the beginning of the root, you can use vermiculite, and when the seedlings with a slightly larger root, into the old roots, the granular soil can be larger. The interior structure of the granular soil also affects whether the roots will go inside the soil. When the roots grow into the soil, it will break the structure of the soil, the granular soil would be easily crushed and become dust, which would be easily stuck together after watering, especially in alkaline environments, once they are all stuck together, there would be no air circulation for roots and plants will die. So that's why when we mix the soil with different size and change it twice a year.
4. Require a little fertilizer. Succulents do not require much fertilization. Their ancestors could live without fertilizer, but it would be better if we can give them fertilizer nutrients with low nitrogen and high phosphorus potassium during the growing season to promote better development. Why are low nitrogen and high phosphorus potassium, because nitrogen can promote the plants grow leaves, and phosphorus is promoting flower bud differentiation, potassium is to promote root growth. PS. Be careful not to overfertilize and burn roots.
The rules of using soil
No matter which soil you choose and how to prepare it, it should meet the basic requirements of plants, and consider all aspects of the situation, be flexible
1. According to the planting site: the soil for the field planting and pot planting is different. More consideration should be given to drainage in the field planting, and more materials with strong drainage should be added, such as gravel. And potted should be in the principle that assures loose ventilated add organic matter appropriately. If planted in the south balcony, should also consider more dry, adequate light characteristics, appropriate to add some water retention strong matrix, such as vermiculite.
2. According to plant species: Different types of soil can be "quite different". For example, epiphytic species require certain humus, while some terrestrial species with poor soil and underdeveloped roots of origin require less humus than the former. Not only do different species of families require different soils, but also different species of families and genera require different soils.
3. According to different cultivation areas: the northern climate is dry, the moisture ability of the soil has certain requirements; Southern abundant rain, high air humidity, soil drainage, and ventilation requirements are higher.
4. Mix according to different growth stages: in the seedling stage, the root system is not developed, the organic matter content should be slightly less, the soil is mainly composed of light materials and some fine sand, and then gradually increase the organic matter content later.
The function of different soil:
[On the bottom] The bottom of the basin must be paved with a layer of large particles, which can be breathable and permeable. Large particles of ceramicist and lava soil can be used as stones on the bottom.
[On the top] Akadam and Kanuma Pumice will be pulverized after a period of use, so it is not recommended to use them as the soil cover. I usually use Maifanitum and Perlite. Many beautiful decorative stones can be paving stones.